Tuesday, October 13, 2009

That First Post...

Hi all, and welcome to Ink Outside the Bottle!

So, this is the first post, and you're thinking, "What is 'Ink Outside the Bottle' and what the heck is 'life on the outside edge of comics'?"  Well, here comes a bit of an explanation of what this blog is about:

You see, I was torn between setting up an art blog, an informative blog about the processes of comics creation (what I have learned, and what I am learning), and a blog about my experience as a budding creator.  I wanted to do all three, but I knew I didn't have the time to do it all..  At least in a meaningful way.  If you're a creator in your own time (its not your "day job"), then you know what I mean.  So, for quite a while I thought on which one I wanted the most, and what would work best in my own work flow, and also what would benefit the most people (yeah... myself included!). 

Then it came to me, why not synthesize all three into one blog?  Why can't my blog be about my life working on the fringes of the comic world, sharing what I learn (asking for help?), and showing off my progress and (hopefully) successes?  The answer is: it can.  So here I am starting that exact blog.

And who am I?  My name's Matthew Grant, do graphic design/art direction for a living, but my true identity is that of a comic book creator.  I can't really pick one label for myself as I draw, write, edit, do digital pre-press, and probably a thousand other things I can't think of at the moment--  needless to say, I'm fascinated with the entire process (or the limitless possibilities of processes) of bringing comics from idea to publication.  That's whether "publication" refers to print, webcomics, digital distribution, or otherwise.  I write and draw a webcomic, Mastorism (currently on hiatus as I gear up a new story arc), and I work as Production Manager with some other fine folks at Earthbound Comics producing some great POD comics such as Lady Fight, Sleepbringer, and my own Mastorism comics. 

So back to the name...  Its a play on "think outside the box" referencing both the fact that there's more than one way to make a comic (though some would have you think otherwise), and the fact that while I'm deeply involved in making comics, my current place is most certainly on the outside edge of the comics world, and so also is my perspective.  I hope you will join me on this adventure, and see where it leads!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great premise for a blog.
    As a big fan of your art, I'll be looking forward to some insights into your techniques and tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks! That's good to hear! I'm looking forward to sharing, too. I'm constantly learning, trying new things, and coming up with better approaches-- So, I hope to bring everyone along the way with that end of it, too!

    ReplyDelete